There are over 1200 children in South Snohomish County that are considered homeless and part of the McKinney-Vento Education of Homeless Children and Youth Assistance Act. These children may live in shelters, tents, cars, transitional housing or other temporary housing.
Many of these children leave school each day and may not have anything to eat until the next morning. Some need help with clothes or shoes, others need help finding a place to sleep.
What started as a grass roots effort has grown into a community-wide passion thanks to Washington Kids in Transition. By collaborating with community partners and working through licensed social workers in our schools, we are able to provide fast assistance to students and families in our community.
The needs of each homeless family are different and Washington Kids is there to provide the resources they require, such as:
- Motel vouchers for families facing immediate homelessness
- Rental and utility assistance in an effort to prevent homelessness
- Rental deposits for families ready to move from a motel to apartment
- Emergency closets providing emergency food, toiletries, hygiene, coats, shoes, socks, and underwear
- 250 bags of supplemental food every school day for students riding McKinney Vento busses
Currently we serve students and families in the Edmonds School District as well as the Everett School District in addition to families referred to us by our community partners on a case by case basis.
To date, we have never had to turn down a request vetted by our social workers in the schools. This is due to our generous community!
Washington Kids in Transition is tax exempt under section 501c3 of the Internal Revenue Code. Our tax ID number is 47-2258133.